Sunday, October 26, 2008

aargh, matey!

Last evening we went to a pirate-themed Halloween party up at Oglebay. Andy went as a skunk. Shawn went as a banana. I did the pirate thing.

The place was decorated in a piratical theme, complete with life-sized skeleton in pirate garb that had a moving jaw and sword. Andy was, in his own words, horrified. We spent the vast majority of the evening outside in the cold so as to avoid the creepy pirate in the corner. Eventually he was able to work up the nerve to approach it, shake it's hand and take a Reeses' cup from it's bowl.

He did dance, or rather took my hand and ran around in circles for long periods of time until I had to stop for fear of losing my hot buttered rum and the other contents of my stomach. They also had a giant pile of pine shavings under which a few pounds of candy were buried; by the time Andy found his way out there the candy was long gone. But Andy was far more interested in the pine shavings and spent 40 minutes standing alone in the pile throwing handfuls about, covering his adorable costume and his father with them.

I have to say, though, the highlight of the evening was when I was introduced to a local pediatrician and was talking to him and his kids about this and that. I believe it was my mother who drew our attention to Andy, who was standing at the dessert table helping himself to rum balls. I'd say he got at least 3 in him before I fully grasped what was going on. I could barely bring myself to acknowledge this doctor for the rest of the evening.

Rum at 2. Way to go, me.

No comments: