Monday, May 9, 2011

jokey

Andy has a book that was mine as a kid. It's called "The Giggle Book". It's full of fairly inane knock-knock jokes and ridiculous puns. It almost pains me to read it because it's so dumb, but I remember loving it when I was young as much as he does now.

Thing is, he doesn't really "get" jokes. I have to explain each one, and he still doesn't really understand. The phrase "barking lot" doesn't mean anything to him, and he doesn't appreciate why a giraffe with a sore throat is so ironic.

For example:

Me: Knock, knock.

Andy: Who's there?

Me: Amos.

Andy: Amos who?

Me: Amos-quito just bit me.

Andy: Haha. That's funny.

Me: Yeah...do you get it?

Andy: Yeah. Haha.

(pause)

Andy: So, who's Amos?


*********************

After I explained Amos to him, he hit me with pun of his own.

Andy: Knock, knock.

Me: Who's there?

Andy: Chicken.

Me: Chicken who?

Andy: Chicken butt.

No comments: