Tuesday, May 5, 2009

nooo!

I'm having a terrible problem with my back of late. Just awful pain. And while our mattress wasn't the culprit, it certainly wasn't helping the problem much. I used to wake up pain-free and then as the day progressed fall into agony. But lately our pillow top mattress (which cost considerable monies) has begun to compress under the weight of our bodies until it was punctuated by two Grand Canyon-sized pits in which we lay all night. And naturally I started waking up in pain, which caused me to lose the two good morning hours I used to have pain-free.

Where is this going? Well, Shawn and I felt the problem (aka the mattress pit) was getting so deep that we went out and bought a $2200 Tempurpedic mattress. (Yikes!) It's a lower-end model and it still cost us that much. We're reassured by the 20-year warranty and the 30-day trial period after which we may return it for a refund if it doesn't float our boat.

So at 8am this morning the truck pulled up with our expensive new purchase. Andy was super excited, bouncing on the old one for a last few minutes before they took it away. (I explained to him that the new mattress wasn't bouncy at all, and he was disappointed to learn I was exactly right.) I stripped the old bed, all the way down to the waterproof mattress cover we bought when we realized our doberman had a leaking problem when she'd fall into a deep sleep.

When the men had set up the box springs and the new mattress and had me sign the forms, they left. I spoke briefly to the manager at the store to confirm that my new purchase had arrived safely and was properly assembled. As I spoke to him I reached for the waterproof mattress pad. I wanted to get it quickly on the bed before any paws or chocolate milk got on it, potentially voiding my warranty.

It was too late. As I hung up the phone, Andy pointed to my new, $2200 bed and said, "Mommy, I put a booger on the new bed!"

If I have to return it I can only hope they don't notice the green slug trail on the lower right corner where my son wiped his nose five minutes after it arrived. At least it was on Shawn's side.

No comments: