Friday, July 3, 2009

gratitude

Today Andy and I were home from work and school. I felt guilty because I've started working three days a week and sometimes when we come home he wants to bounce around and I'm too tired. So I decided to take him to the park. First we went to several stores for decorations for Andy's float in our little neighborhood 4th of July parade. (Which usually consists of him sitting in a wagon and me pulling it.) I bought him flags and balloons and snacks and other fun stuff. I even found a kite on sale so I bought that, thinking we could go to the top of the hill and fly it after the park.

We went to the playground and played and played. He ran himself and me ragged. We swang and played in the sand and threw rocks and looked at ducks. Then, despite major exhaustion, I packed him into the car and we drove to the top of the hill where I was hoping there would be wind for some kite-flying.

Of course, there was no wind. But that didn't matter to Andy. He was endlessly amused by my running around holding the kite. I could only make it fly under my own power. When he eventually stepped on it and shredded it, I tossed it in the trash and changed the agenda to distract him from the loss. We ran and ran and ran, and he laughed and laughed and laughed. I spun him around in circles until I wanted to puke. Then, to coax him back to the car, we had nauseating races, gradually working our way to the parking lot.

When we got to the car he was very thirsty and demanding a drink. It was then that I realized that my car keys had fallen out of my pocket, somewhere in the expanse of three soccer fields. Not good. We re-traced our steps, back and back, circle after circle. I pawed through the trash. (Gross, by the way.)

After 20 minutes of searching, just as I was pulling out my phone to call for help, we spied them. Then we traipsed back to the car as slowly as his little legs could possibly carry him. I put him in his seat, got him food and drink and drove him home.

As soon as he realized we were again driving past the park but this time not stopping, he got angry. After all of my efforts, time, energy and money, he thanked me for this time together by screaming,

"Mommy I'm going to belch in your face if you don't stop at the park!!!!"

No comments: