Saturday, July 25, 2009

not-so-happy birthday

Today is Andy's third birthday. I can't believe it. Feels like yesterday. Anyway.

We had great plans for him today: A trip to Caldwell, Ohio, to visit his great-grandparents and witness the annual Fireman's Festival, which he loves. We put off his birthday party until next weekend in order to have this special trip.

Alas, the microscopic world of germs ruined our plans, as Andy developed a fever yesterday. The poor kid is miserable and has had two restless nights. We're keeping him full of Tylenol and Motrin, but he's sick enough that he wasn't even interested in driving up to ColdStone Creamery for his free birthday cone. In addition, the weather is supposed to be violent this evening and Pap is having upcoming heart surgery and doesn't need to be exposed to any illnesses. So, poor Andy is having a miserable birthday.

This morning he was lying pitifully on the couch with big tears rolling down his cheeks as he experienced his first headache (at least, the first one I was able to diagnose as such). I asked him what he needed: Water, food, blanket...all no's.

I hugged him and said, "Andy, I just don't know what I can do to make you feel better."

He looked up at me with his flushed cheeks and said, "Maybe some cake would make me feel better Mommy."

No comments: