Sunday, November 29, 2009

cosmologically challenged

The place: my bed.

The time: 1:59 a.m.

The situation: I have just spent the prior day in agonizing abdominal pain, for which I did eventually go see a doctor and was pronounced okay. But I'm tired and I'm still hurting. And it's the middle of the night.

The sound: Wailing on the Andy-monitor.

Shawn is dead asleep and obviously not waking up no matter how much I kick him, so I drag my very painful body into Andy's room as he cries, "Mommy! Mommy!"

As I enter his room he's sitting in his bed crying.

Me: What's wrong Andy? [Imagine that in my most exhausted voice.]

Andy: Mommy there's something there!

Me: Where?

Andy: Right there. [He points to his window.]

Me: There's something on your window?

Andy: There's something outside my window.

[I pull back the blinds.]

Andy: There's something big and white in the sky!

Me: [in an even more exhausted voice] That's the moon, Andy.

Andy: Oh.

[Pause]

Andy: But what's that little white thing next to the moon!?!?

Me: That's a star, Andy.

Andy: Oh. Okay. Goodnight Mommy.

No comments: