Tuesday, December 22, 2009

it had to happen

Today the thumb of humiliation squashed me flat.

I had an o.b. appointment which took forever. Andy was such a good boy, so patient and well-behaved. (Clearly a switch was made and it wasn't my kid at all but an imposter.) After an hour and a half of waiting we were seen and sent downstairs to the lab. But at the hospital, before you can have anything at all done, you have to register. So we sat and waited some more. And Andy asked question after question. His little brain is a sponge, soaking up the world around him. Who am I to deny him in his quest for knowledge? I always give him an answer, though sometimes it's downright obnoxious.

When we were called back to office #3 to register, we were seated before the desk of an overly-masculine woman with very, very short hair. She was a larger lady and there wasn't much that was girly about her.

Andy looked puzzled for a moment and then pointed right at this woman and asked, "Mommy, what is that man's name?"

I stumbled, I scrounged, I grasped, but I don't think I saved it. She knew.

No comments: