Saturday, October 10, 2009

hey andy

Yesterday we were in the car coming home from lunch at a restaurant with friends. I had the radio on and Andy was reading a book (about a duck) in his car seat.

Suddenly, the song 'Hey, Jude' came on the radio. Being one of my favorite songs, I turned it up a bit.

By the time Paul had gotten to the second verse, I heard a wail from the backseat. Andy was staring at me with his bottom lip sticking out and huge tears in his eyes, falling down his cheeks. I gasped and said, "Andy! What's wrong?"

He said, "I don't like this song, Mommy."

I figured it was really something else and Andy was only able to articulate the freshest thing on his mind - the song - to explain his misery or pain or whatever it was. So I reached back and patted his leg, told him we'd be home soon, and went back to singing Hey Jude to him.

He said it again. "I don't like this song, Mommy!" And tears again started to well up in his eyes. We were only a minute from home and for the rest of the journey his lip remained firmly in the pout position and his eyes watered.

Now I ask you, who doesn't like 'Hey Jude'?

No comments: